Full course description
This is the first course in the Oklahoma Market Gardening School. This self-paced e-learning course offers prospective market gardeners a solid grounding in soil and fertilizer management. It features interactive learning activities and custom multimedia.
Both novice and experienced market gardeners are welcome to enroll online.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the importance of farming and how soils form the basis for all food production.
- List the key properties of an ideal soil.
- Describe the physical aspects of soil particles and how they affect soil drainage, aeration, and water uptake.
- Summarize best practices for managing soil fertility.
- Explain the relationship between plant nutrients and soil pH.
- Identify the basics of organic farming.
You can work on this course any time, 24/7 for up to 60 days. You will watch videos, engage in learning activities and take quizzes. The course is divided into four modules, which can be completed at your own pace. Each module should take approximately 45 minutes to complete.
To complete the course, you must access all pages and earn at least 80% on all assessments. A certificate will be available to download after the course is completed.
Total Time Estimate: 3 hours
- Physical Attributes of Soil
- Chemical Attributes of Soil
- Managing Soil Fertility
- Biological Attributes of Soil
- For the best viewing experience, use the Google Chrome browser.
- First time users will need to respond to a confirmation email from Canvas Catalog.
- When logging in, use the Public Login option (unless you have OKEY credentials.)
- Contact the OSU IT Helpdesk if you need assistance.