Full course description
Introduction to Prescribed Fire Online Course Overview
Interested in learning how to conduct a safe and effective prescribed burn? Enroll in the OSU Extension Introduction to Prescribed Fire online course to learn best practices for conducting a safe and effective burn. The course features interactive learning activities and custom videos.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Explain why fire is a crucial part of a healthy ecosystem.
- Identify key considerations for creating a fire plan.
- Recognize safe practices for conducting a prescribed burn, including equipment, firebreaks and smoke management.
- Describe the best practices for meeting the land management objectives using prescribed fire, including ignition and season of burn.
You can work on this course any time, 24/7 for up to 120 days. You will watch videos, engage in learning activities and take quizzes. The course is divided into nine modules, which can be completed at your own pace. Each module should take approximately 30-60 minutes to complete.
To complete the course, you must access all pages and earn at least 80% on all assessments. A certificate will be available to download after the course is completed.
Total Time Estimate: 8 hours
- Introduction to Prescribed Fire
- Prescribed Fire Law and Liability
- Fire Prescriptions
- Fire Effects
- Smoke Management
- Burn Seasons
- Fire Equipment
- For the best viewing experience, use the Google Chrome browser.
- First-time users will need to respond to a confirmation email from Canvas Catalog.
- If you miss the email, resetting your password will also work.
- When logging in, use the Public Login option (unless you have OKey credentials.)
- Contact the OSU IT Helpdesk if you need assistance.