Full course description
Cool-Season Vegetable Production Online Course Overview
Interested in raising vegetables to sell? Looking to improve your current market gardening operation? Enroll in the OSU Extension Market Gardening: Cool-Season Vegetable Production online course to learn best practices for producing cool-season vegetables. This self-paced, interactive course includes information on the historical and nutritive attributes of crop groups, where to find additional information about these crops, crop inputs, methods of establishment, pest management, fertility and water management, and harvest, including how to handle crops following harvest.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize different groups of cool-season vegetable crops.
- List the key attributes of the members of a crop group.
- Describe at least two methods of establishing cool-season vegetable crops.
- Describe the management of soil fertility for each crop group.
- Describe when and how to irrigate.
- Identify different types of pests that may attack a crop.
- Describe harvest methods and post-harvest storage conditions.
You can work on this course any time, 24/7 for up to 60 days. You will read curated content, watch videos, engage in learning activities and take quizzes. The course is divided into five modules, which can be completed at your own pace. Each module should take approximately 45 minutes to complete.
To complete the course, you must access all pages and earn at least 80% on all assessments. A certificate will be available to download after the course is completed.
Total Time Estimate: 4 hours
- Introduction to Cool-Season Crops
- Cool-Season Leafy Greens
- Cole Crops
- Cool-Season Root Crops
- Allium Crops
- For the best viewing experience, use the Google Chrome browser.
- First-time users will need to respond to a confirmation email from Canvas Catalog.
- When logging in, use the Outreach Login option (unless you have OKey credentials.)
- Contact the OSU IT Helpdesk if you need assistance.