Full course description
- Chrome is the preferred browser.
- Use the OKey Login box to log in.
- Contact the OSU IT Helpdesk if you need assistance.
Public course is available on the OSU Extension Catalog.
This course is for OSU Extension staff professional development. Others should enroll at https://osuextension.catalog.instructure.com/
- Eight hours total
- The course is divided into 9 modules which can be completed at your own pace.
- Each module should take 30-60 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, you will be able to
- Explain why fire is a crucial part of a healthy ecosystem
- Identify the key considerations for creating a fire plan
- Recognize safe practices for conducting a prescribed burn, including equipment, firebreaks, and smoke management
- Describe the best practices for meeting the land management objectives using prescribed fire, including ignition and season of burn
This is an asynchronous, self-paced, course. You will watch videos, engage in learning activities, and take quizzes.
- Introduction to Prescribed Fire
- Prescribed Fire Law & Liability
- Fire Prescriptions
- Fire Effects
- Smoke Management
- Burn Seasons
- Fire Equipment
Completing the Course
- To complete the course, you must access all pages and earn 80% on the Assessments.
- Once you have completed the course, you can print a certificate of completion.