Full course description
Introduction to Horse Nutrition Online Course Overview
This self-paced, interactive course will provide owners with key information on creating appropriate and safe diets for horses. Correctly feeding horses requires an understanding of their digestive anatomy, the types of feedstuffs they typically consume and the basic nutrient requirements for each classification of horse. This course will provide owners with key information on creating appropriate and safe diets for horses.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Explain the unique digestive anatomy of a horse and how it impacts what we feed them as well as the horse's health.
- Identify and appreciate the major types of forages and fiber sources fed to horses.
- Recognize the major types of concentrates and supplements and describe which are appropriate for horses.
- Determine the correct horse classifications used for determining nutrient requirements.
- Use the classifications of horses to determine their energy requirements.
- Determine the correct amounts of protein, vitamins and minerals fed to horses based on their classifications.
You can work on this course any time, 24/7 for up to 120 days. You will engage in learning activities and take quizzes. The course is divided into five modules, which can be completed at your own pace. Each module should take approximately 45-60 minutes to complete.
To complete the course, you must access all pages and earn at least 80% on all assessments. A certificate will be available to download after the course is completed.
Total Time Estimate: 4 hours
- Digestive Anatomy
- Feedstuffs: Forages
- Feedstuffs: Concentrates
- Nutrient Requirements I
- Nutrient Requirements II