Full course description
Selling Home Bakery Items - What You Need to Know Online Course
This interactive online training will help home bakers understand the regulations of the Oklahoma Home Bakery Act. Topics include good manufacturing practices, allergens, labeling, safety and income. The course features interactive learning activities.
- Chrome is the preferred browser.
- First-time users will need to respond to a confirmation email from Canvas Catalog.
- Use the Public Login option to log in, unless you have OKey credentials.
- Contact the OSU IT Helpdesk if you need assistance.
The Oklahoma Home Bakery Act of 2013 made it legal to prepare baked goods in an uninspected home kitchen and sell the goods from the homeowner’s premises. This act was amended in 2017 to allow home-baked items to be sold off-premises in selected locations. Because this act affects home bakers around the state, Selling Home Bakery Items – What You Need to Know assists home bakers in understanding the regulations. The training covers good manufacturing practices, allergens, labeling, cross-contamination and food safety. The training also will help in recordkeeping and calculations of income to determine if the baker is capable of expanding to a brick-and-mortar facility.
This course is intended for current and prospective Oklahoma home bakers.
- 2 hours total.
- The course is divided into 5 modules which can be completed at your own pace.
- Each module will take about 20 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Understand why food safety and microbiology are critical with baked goods.
- Be able to identify major allergens and possible cross-contamination when baking.
- Recognize safe practices for producing baked foods.
- Be able to identify best practices to help in record-keeping and calculations of income.
This is a self-paced course. You will watch videos, engage in activities and take quizzes.
- Home Baking Standards
- Good Manufacturing Practices
- Food Safety
- Food Allergens and Labeling
- Home Bakery Financial Analysis
- Checks and Balances
Completing the Course
- To complete the course, you must access all pages and earn 80% on each of the quizzes.
- Once you have completed the course, you will be granted a certificate of completion.
Oklahoma State University Extension reserves the right to modify online courses when necessary. If for any reason, a course or enrollment experience does not meet your expectations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request a refund, please email email@example.com. Refund decisions are subject to approval by the appropriate FAPC Workshop Program Leader. Because the university is on a monetary fiscal year beginning 1 July, refund requests after 15 June cannot be considered. Please allow 5 business days for a decision to be made and appropriate action to be taken.
Refunds will be subject to an administrative fee of $25.
Courses that reflect course participation or completion are non-refundable.