Full course description
Excise Board Training Online Course Overview
This course will focus primarily on the statutory duties of the Excise Board members and their interactions with other elected officials and the importance of the budget process for the County General Fund.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
Explain the overall functions of the Excise Board and the requirements for the board members
Identify county funds, specifically, the County General Fund and its significance to the county budget
Compare and contrast the duties in the budget process for the Excise Board in relation to the two different county budget methods
Recognize the revenue factors and revenue components used in the development of the county's annual budget
Describe Cash Funds and their interactions with the General Fund
Identify the priority in funding for county personnel, county officers, mandated functions and other authorized functions
Explain the Excise Board's responsibility for appropriations, mill levies, and other duties
You can work on this course any time, 24/7 for up to 60 days. You will watch videos, engage in learning activities and take quizzes. The course is divided into 8 modules, which can be completed at your own pace. Each module should take approximately 30 minutes to complete.
To complete the course, you must access all pages and earn at least 80% on all assessments. A certificate will be available to download after the course is completed.
Total Time Estimate: 6 hours
- Functions of the County Excise Board
- County Funds
- County Budget Methods
- County Budget Process
- Cash Funds
- Priority of Funding for County Personnel
- Priority of Funding for County Offices/Functions
- Mill Levies and Appropriations
- For the best experience, use the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Safari.
- First-time users will need to respond to a confirmation email from Canvas Catalog.
- If you miss the email, resetting your password will also work.
- When logging in, use the Public Login option (unless you have OKey credentials.)
- Contact the OSU IT Helpdesk if you need assistance.